Tuesday, September 25, 2007

To Keep the Body in Good Health is a Duty....

"To keep the body in good health is a duty....otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear"
-Buddha


For the past 5 years keeping my body in good health has been a pleasure. Yes, I enjoy sweating and pushing my body until is screams for mercy. I enjoy the tightness when I wake up the next morning after a especially hard workout. I enjoy leaving a trail of sweat on the gym floor or the pavement as I run. I enjoy being a sweaty mess most of the day. I enjoy eating healthy, although I struggle with this on a daily, if not hourly basis. I still struggle with turning to God for comfort or praise for a good job done, not food.


I never thought of keeping my body in good health as a duty. But, it really is a duty. God gave us these wonderful working bodies. Do we abuse this wonderful house/body that God gave us by not building it strong and healthy inside and out? Do we let this house sit on a shaky foundation of fat or do we build that foundation with strong muscles and hearts? Do we fill the house with junk food made by man or do we fill it with the goodness that God has grown for us?


If my house/body is clean and strong, I do find that my mind works better and I think clearer. I am a happier person, knowing that I am building a strong and sound body/house for God to do His work through. I find after a good workout, I have the energy to keep me going through the day. If I eat clean through the day, I don't feel tired and sluggish, I feel energized to do God's work and understand His word as I read His book.

1 comment:

Angel said...

Amen, sister! My house is sagging a bit these days. *blush*