Saturday, September 22, 2007

It's Not The Hill That's Difficult

As I was running on Thursday night I approached "the dreaded hill". Now, I live in Florida so it's really not much of a hill at all, but it is still an incline that I must get up. As I got closer, it hit me. It's not that the hill is difficult, it's just that the flat road is easy. I realized that after I got up that hill and the road leveled off, I not only appreciated the flat road all the more, but I found it easier.

Just changing my way of thinking about it, made a difference in how I approached "the hill" on the return. I actually looked forward to the hill. Knowing my quads, hamstrings and glutes would burn on the way up, I also knew that the burn would stop once the road leveled off and my legs would feel stronger and my run would be easier.

I'm now trying to apply this thinking to the other areas of my life. It's not the hill that's difficult, the flat road is just easy.

2 comments:

Angel said...

One of my favorite sayings is "attitude is everything." People never really get that until they actually learn to adjust their attitude, then they're amazed at how things are never as bad as the originally thought. Just like you're hill. :D *thumbsup*

Anonymous said...

I just caught up on your blogging Carol... it's so good!!! I'm really enjoying what you are writing. :)